We know that for the evolution of life on the earth, energy is required. This energy is obtained from different sources. There are different sources of energy. In this article, we shall understand what is an energy resource and the types of energy. Also, we shall understand how these energy resources are getting affected.
What is Energy?
Energy is defined as the ability to do work. It is a scalar quantity and the SI unit of energy is Joule. The types of energy are divided into two groups:
- Kinetic energy
- Potential energy
When the energy is in motion, it is known as kinetic energy. The mathematical representation of kinetic energy is:
KE = ½ mv2
- m is the mass of the object
- v is the velocity of the object
When the energy is stored in an object and is used for doing work, it is known as potential energy. The mathematical representation of potential energy is:
PE = mgh
- m is the mass of the object
- g is the acceleration due to gravity
- h is the height
What is Mechanical Energy?
The sum of kinetic energy and potential energy is known as mechanical energy. The mathematical representation of mechanical energy is:
ME = KE + PE = ½ mv2+mgh
Different Types of Energy
There are different types of energythat are based on their resources. The energy from these resources is used as fuel. The energy resource is divided into two categories:
- Renewable resources
- Non-renewable resources
Natural resources such as solar, wind, water, and geothermal sources are known as renewable energy resources. They are available in abundance in nature.
The energy resources that are fossil fuels such as coal, petroleum, natural gas are known as non-renewable energy resources. They are very scanty in nature.
Types of Energy
The following are the different types of energy:
- Solar energy
- Wind energy
- Geothermal energy
- Nuclear energy
- Biomass energy
- Tidal energy
What is an Energy Resource?
An energy resource is defined as something that can produce heat, that can be used for moving objects, and it is used in the production of electricity.
Environmental Impacts of Energy Resources
There are different ways in which energy resources can affect the environment. Some of them are discussed here:
- Fossil fuels are a threat to the environment. They are the major cause of air pollution, water pollution, and they produce toxic wastes.
- We know that the energy obtained from the sun is clean and sustainable. However, it has an environmental impact such as habitat loss and usage of hazardous materials during manufacturing. The environmental impact is dependent on the technology that is used in the production of photovoltaic solar cells.
- Another natural resource of energy that is clean and has no contribution to global warming is wind energy. It is considered the most sustainable energy resource. However, it is a major threat to wildlife, especially birds.
- The environmental impact caused by the geothermal energy resource depends on the conversion and the cooling technology used.
- When non-renewable energy resources are considered, they contribute the most to the environmental impacts. They are the cause of the emission of greenhouse gases, acid rains, air, land and water pollution, and oil spills.
To understand about Smart Greenhouse industry, Read here